From setting the date to choosing the place, buying the dress and tasting the cake, chances are you may not have had time to give much thought to the final detail of your wedding day - the grand exit! How will you and your fiance bid farewell to family, friends and guests after what will definitely be an unforgettable time? While some newlyweds choose to keep the party going and they simply leave after their guests, the photos of an exit can be among your favorites and it also brings beautiful closure to such a momentous event. These days brides and grooms are becoming more and more inventive with their celebratory send offs and so we at Kisses say - have fun! Once again our resident expert and wedding consultant of more than 17 years, Kathi, gave us the inside scoop on some of the most memorable send offs she's ever seen, here are just a few:
• Your mother may have shared stories with you of rice in her hair for days after her wedding ceremony but now, rice is rarely if ever used. Why? Believe it or not rice is harmful to your health - when tossed in its uncooked form that is. It can make an uninvited appearance in eyes, ears or even, Heaven forbid, your nose, and cause great harm. Not to mention that guests can slip and fall after so much is thrown. Also birds often choke on rice and it can sadly be fatal so we say," just say no!"
• Looking for a soft and girlie option? Rose petals and bubbles make for a graceful send off every time. Here's a tip: buy your send-off petals in bulk bouquets then ask family and friends to help you put them in plastic zip-top bags the night before the wedding. Keep them in the fridge at your reception site and you'll be ready to go at the end of your special day.
• Aside from rose petals and bubbles, paper confetti is another fun option and these days, thanks to the popularity of recycled materials, you can even be earth friendly and buy biodegradable versions! If you choose the traditional paper type, just be sure to have a clean-up plan in place so that your last impression isn't as a litter bug.
• Maybe you want a little sizzle in your exit? Sparklers are a lot of fun and the photographs are incredible! Just remember to be careful! On your wedding day you will likely be wearing a dress larger than any other you ever have or ever will again and guests always want an up-close view, even as you leave. So work with your coordinator ahead of time to set safe boundaries for your exit and always pre-plan for a bucket of water to be nearby - just in case!
• If you want a lot of sizzle in your exit, then you can also go all out with fireworks! Most any bride-to-be can recall that incredible ending scene in My Best Friend's Wedding where the antique car drives down a road lit with fireworks on either side as a display in the sky blasts off. It doesn't get much more magical than that - and pricey - but we always advise brides to ask before you make up your mind. You just might find a great deal on an exceptional exit!
Those are just a few of the most popular options but it's your day so be creative!! If your reception is near the water, try for a boat exit! Have a passion for balloons? Let your guests hold bunches for you and your groom to walk through (just don't let them go, the ozone will thank you for it!). We would love to hear your ideas for grand exits, too so send them in and you just might see them in an upcoming post!
Since this is all about exits, guess it's time to say - Kisses for now!