Part of the fun of getting married is, of course, the many showers friends and family will host for you during your engagement. Though most of the gifts will include those items you've registered for, and rightly so, it seems the ones that you remember most are those you won't find in any mall. One such gift was given to Kisses own, Heather by her matron of honor and was such a meaningful gesture we asked Heather to take a moment and share it here with you.
As you enter the exciting world of married life, chances are you're feeling a mix of excitement and maybe a little nervousness from the unknown. Let me assure you, this is perfectly normal! Advice from married friends is especially helpful during this time to help put your mind at ease. For instance, hearing from others that they, too occasionally lose it over the empty roll of toilet paper or the dishes that are still in the sink - though your spouse has had more spare time than you - are to be expected. Though I had shared many conversations with my friends over the years about what it's like to be married, nothing could replace the gift I received at my bridesmaid's luncheon which was a handwritten book containing pages of advice from dozens of friends and close family members on what makes a happy marriage. Some pages were humorous, some heartfelt but every word was wonderfully reassuring. Marriage will certainly have its share of ups and downs but in the end, having that soul mate and partner to walk with you through life is absolutely irreplaceable.
Here are just a few of the tidbits my friends shared and I hope they will be helpful to you, too:
• Always remember what made you fall in love with each other
• Never go to bed angry (know you've heard that one but it's SO true!)
• Be open to compromise, suggestions and experiencing new things - a marriage must evolve to thrive
• Listen when he talks and don't feel the need to always force your opinion (it's a hard one girls, but true)
• You are entering a partnership - some days you will give, others you will take but most importantly don't keep score!
• Love your spouse as you want to be loved and then love him even more!
• Waste away a weekend together in your PJs because in the end, it's not wasted time at all.
• Faith is the glue that holds every successful marriage together
Feel free to give hints to your own bridal party about making this special keepsake for you and above all remember, though your wedding day is the magical start of your lives together, true happiness can only come from a lifelong commitment to the marriage vows you shared. Happy wedding and even happier marriage to all!
Kisses for now!